First day for UTC Oxfordshire pioneers
This month, UTC Oxfordshire staff welcomed their first pupils for the first day of term at their brand new school.
Around 150 Year 10 and Year 12 students, named ‘the pioneers’, enjoyed breakfast in the cafe before getting to know their classmates, teachers and tour the school building. Their action-packed first week included taking part in educational workshops run by Bloodhound SSC – the team behind the world land speed record attempt. Read more.
Students get rocket powered start
Students got a rocket powered start to their UTC Oxfordshire experience thanks to BLOODHOUND SSC, the team behind a world land speed record.
The students worked in teams, using their mathematics and engineering knowledge to build rocket powered model cars from special foam, metal rods and wheels. The teams were tasked with designing their own car from a foam block into something that was streamlined, aerodynamic and super-fast, competing for a prize of having their names on the fin of the supersonic car that is hoping to break the land speed record in two years’ time in South Africa. Read more.
As our first week of opening came to an end, we welcomed parents of the UTC’s first cohort of students to the building to celebrate a successful start to the term. Thank you to everyone who attended – we were delighted to receive so many positive comments:
- “An easy transition. Have noticed the difference in our daughter already.”
- “My son has come home each day with a smile on his face, something he hasn’t done in the last 3 years!! He mentions what he has done each day with enthusiasm and comments on how friendly EVERYONE is…teachers, staff and pupils.”
- “Teachers very friendly, helpful, very lovely place to visit, proud to have my daughter coming here.”
- “I think children are very happy over here and that is the most important.”
- “The school opened on time, students ready to go, happy son all week – thank you.”
UTC Oxfordshire students prepare for successful futures
Students at UTC Oxfordshire are getting a headstart on their future careers with support from the National Citizen Service (NCS), which aims to help young people aged 15-17 learn important life and employability skills.
UTC Oxfordshire has become the team’s first appointment of the new academic year. With a four-week programme already underway, it is the first time that NCS has run a programme during term time.
Students enjoyed a residential weekend of team building activities, including making rope swings and sailing dragon boats, and will take part in workshops on preparing for interviews and starting a business. Read more.
Elliot on track for karting world finals
Young karting champion and UTC Oxfordshire student Elliot Harvey is on a fundraising mission to compete in the karting world finals in Le Mans.
Elliot, a Year 10 student, races with Global Karting under the guidance of British champion Mike Spencer.
Having finished third in the British Grand Prix earlier in the year, he has now qualified for the IAME X30 World Finals in October – and is busy fundraising to meet the £5,000 required to bring his car up to championship specification. Read more.
Key dates and events
- Friday 23 October: Last day of half term
- Tuesday 3 November, 4-6pm: Sixth Form Taster Event
- Thursday 12 November, 6-8pm: Sixth Form Taster Event
- Tuesday 24 November, 6-8pm: Open Evening
- Thursday 3 December, 4-6pm: Sixth Form Taster Event
Keep in touch